Abbey Mill

The mill in the former Benedictine Abbey of Seligenstadt, dating from 1574, is the oldest building in the monastery complex that is still preserved in its original form. It had an important function in the self-sufficient abbey economy. It served the monks' self-sufficiency until the dissolution of the convent. In 1993/94, the grinding facility was reconstructed. Now the three waterwheels need to be comprehensively repaired.

The middle water wheel is currently being repaired and will be officially inaugurated on the German Mill Day on Whit Monday, 29 May 2023. The measure is a joint effort by the State Palaces and Gardens of Hesse and the Förderkreis Historisches Seligenstadt e.V. The association operates the mill every Sunday between May and September and shows all visitors how the Benedictine abbey once used it. The members of the association strive to keep the almost forgotten tradition of milling alive and to pass it on. While the mill used to be powered by a millstream flowing through the monastery courtyard, today the process is carried out by a pumping station fed by cisterns.
Klostermuehle Seitenansicht 2022 Mai

Foto: Förderkreis Historisches Seligenstadt e.V.


Foto: Förderkreis Historisches Seligenstadt e.V.


Foto: Förderkreis Historisches Seligenstadt e.V.

In the coming years, the two other waterwheels will also have to be overhauled due to weather-related fashions.

The Förderkreis Historisches Seligenstadt accepts donations for this purpose:

Förderkreis Historisches Seligenstadt e.V.

Sparkasse Langen-Seligenstadt

IBAN: DE51 50652124 000111 0048

Keyword "Mühlrad

Here you can find more information about the Förderkreis Historisches Seligenstadt.