Information on dealing with ivory objects in your own possession

The German Ivory Museum is always interested in high-quality ivory objects, as long as they correspond to the collection concept and the required marketing permits are available.

Please note that if you want to sell or give away ivory, you need an EU certificate (marketing permit). Please contact the Lower Nature Conservation Authority (Untere Naturschutzbehörde) of the Regional Council responsible for your place of residence. Only ivory objects acquired or made before 01.06.1947 have antique status and can therefore be sold or given away without this permit, provided an expert opinion with age determination is available. You can obtain an expert opinion for a fee from an appropriate appraiser.

For the above reasons, please refrain from sending us ivory works on your own authority. If you need more information, please contact: . We thank you!