Exhibition Rooms in the Pisé Building
The exciting permanent exhibition in the remise of the “Fremdenbau” first explains to the visitor the special feature of this site as a pisé building. Pisé was the rediscovery of an earthen building method in architecture at the end of the 18th century, which enjoyed great popularity. After general information on the construction method, further panels lead to the use of pisé in the “Fremdenbau” of the Fürstenlager from 1810 onwards as an experimental building. The interesting history also explains the naming of the “Fremdenbau” from 1830.
Further exhibition panels with richly illustrated historical photographic material provide information on the development of the park from the original intention of creating a spa park with healing spring water from 1739-1767 to the summer residence of the grand ducal family from 1783.
The development of the so-called “little village” with the manor house, guardhouse, cavalier’s building, stables and several other buildings around the centre of the original fountain complex is also shown, as are the avenues radiating out from here, which open up the park to visitors in the style of the English landscape garden at the end of the 19th century.
Visitors to the 46-hectare park are already led here to the varied park architecture such as aviary, grotto, pavilion and tea house, viewing and resting places, which can be explored on foot through meadows and vineyard areas
The enigmatic structure of the so-called Jawansburg, of which only the foundations have been preserved among forest-like growth, also entices visitors. In this respect, the museum functions as a good prelude with far-reaching information for exploring this quite extraordinary, historical park.